This week has been a great week since I don't have any online courses to worry about. I will next week though. I need to meet with my advisor and figure out how I'm going to finish my degree.
I love notebooks.
I've been reading a lot of books lately. I'm trying to get into the molecular theory of gases and liquids. And I'm reading something like 5 science fiction books right now. Let me see if I can list them all here.
And I'm just prioritizing what I read based on my location throughout the day and which ones were checked out by the library. So Version Control gets highest priority because it took me forecver to check it out of the library. But if I don't have access to a computer or tired of reading from my phone then I read Asimov's or The Windup Girl because I have physical copies of those books.
After the bountiful supply of tilde shells that flourished after Paul Ford's original experiment, this is one of the few that have survived. It's been a long time since I've had a chance to write in it.
Since my last post (I never did finish my NaNoWriMo project), I have been working on school, work, family (not in that particular order), and have been reading a lot of books with every spare toilet break I get. I've been learning more about the Perl programming language, and am very happy to be using it exclusively for my homework assignments this summer.
At work I'm still using LabView primarily but I'm trying to squeeze in as much Perl as possible to help me get things done more efficiently. I have at least 5 projects on my mind as I write this, all for Perl.
At home I'm still trying to figure out what's the best programming language for the family.
I've been reading and using Markdown a lot lately. It's too bad I didn't start this blog in Markdown syntax, that would have made things a bit easier for me. I am also falling in love with WordStar keybindings, and have been exploring all the various editors that can support it.
I'm trying to finish my first draft of a novel I've had in the back on my mind for a number of years now. So far I'm a little past 10,000 words. I'm behind, and I'm cheating a little by filling in pages with old journal entries from my past in the hope that I can twist events around for the character to live through. Sorry I have not updated this blog in a long time. It's hard juggling work, school, family, and WriMo all at once.
Check out Notebook Stories for a chance to win Monologue Notebooks!
I spent the first two hours of the day working on setting up electrical repair on Cherry prober today. There is alot of work in aligning the needles in both the x-y plane and fitting a planar function in the z axis. The best approach is to align with the probe card as the center reference and adjust using my "realign" function. The z axis is adjusted using the coordinates of the four corners. The numbers need to be copied into the test file and into the Mother Intel Test Sequencer_v1p1.vi. There are boundary checker problems but they can be circumvented by starting in the proper initial condition.
I have a Tandy Model 100 that I believe never worked. Today I started to look into why it does not work. The power seems ok, but nothing appears on the LCD screen. The contrast dial appears to work but I just see a blank screen. The clock on the 80C85 is showing an 80 us cycle time. I don't know if that's good or not yet. The 4 MHz crystal does not give me any output, but I think that's becuase I don't know how to test a crystal oscillator with my oscilloscope yet.
Today at work I'm back to repairing panels. So while I wait for operations to complete I can write in my blog about how I'm waiting for operations to complete.
What I've been working on lately with my free moments is going over the book, "Computational Chemistry Using the PC", by Donald W. Rogers. I've been translating the QBasic and True Basic code examples in the chapters to Tandy Model 102 Basic to help me understand the concepts. I've been backing up the code on github. It can be found here: https://github.com/navoj/TandyModel100Basic.git
Right now I'm trying to solve a heat capacity equation using the Commodore 64 Basic emulator on my phone. It uses a slightly modified version of the Model 102 code I wrote. The equation is:
eqn:= (a+c*x+e*x^2)^2 / (1+b*x+d*x^2+f*x^3)^2
Right now I'm trying to compute integrals more efficiently using the Model 102. I've learned how to compile assembly language programs within the Model 102 using a Basic program called CMZASM.BA, which I obtained from the Club-100 website.
Welcome to my web page. Here I will chronicle my adventures in computer science and engineering. Right now I'm working on a distributed search engine to try to find counter-examples to Beal's Conjecture. I don't actually think I'll find anything but I'm doing it as an exercise in distributed computing with shell accounts scattered across the internet being shared with other people. I hope people won't mind me sipping a few cycles here and there while they compile their programs and write their web pages.