Barbell Approach to Book Reading
Reading is cornerstone habit for information processing to generate the knowledge.
- We can do speed reading and process no useful knowledge (shallow processing)
- Read the book thorough and spend more time to consume the knowledge (dense processing).
Generally we can categorize the books and reading the books as
- Useful, Easy to understand.
- Not Useful, Easy to understand.
- Useful, Difficult to understand.
- Not Useful, Difficult to understand.
Nicholas Taleb propose a method to read the book ( Barbell method) considering our investment (time) to be safe and having risk (to explore all new books and not to miss any information).
- First we read roughly all the content and mark the information that standout and useful (i.e. Easy to understand and difficult to digest at first time).
- Second we read only marked information and process which is hard to understand. Make new notes connecting with existing notes.
This way determines the quality of book and estimate how much time can spent on the book. Some thoughts for note taking while reading.
- Produce an archive which consists of true knowledge. Do not collect the partial understanding and bits of random piece.
- Learn to think deep and thorough. Make it habit to practice the method.