One at a Time — Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- funky guitar with snare
- perfect 4th up vocal harmony
- middle driving section changes groove / feel
- there are horn section flourishes
- tape distortion makes the sound feel “packed together”
- especially packed in is the rhythm section (bass/drums)
the feeling is a combination of laid back and pressure which produces a feeling of vitality and groove. theory: the laid back comes from rhythmic precision, and the pressure comes from contrast (loud off-beats).
the song is pretty short! it’s verse verse chorus verse basically, gives the feeling it could have been longer, but maybe there was really nowhere else for the chorus to go a second time, so it encapsulates the idea well.