An outline note-taking editor.
Just what it says on the tin: OutNoted is an editor for outlines made of one-line notes, inspired by the old Linux/BSD tool
This is my second attempt to make one; my interest in outliners dates back almost five years. The first time I failed however, because outliners are complicated.
The trick, as with many other things, is paring them down to the essence.
OutNoted v1.3 (28K) is offered under the MIT license; see source code. System requirements:
- Python 2.7 or 3.x, and Tkinter
- 800x600 graphical desktop
OutNoted is stable as of 17 October 2021. Remaining features are low-priority. See also:
(The latter is mostly a mirror of this page.)
- Create and edit outlines made of one-line notes.
- Open and save outline formats like Org Mode and OPML.
- Treat any note as a task and / or link.
- Bookmark management: don't leave it to the browser!
- Task management: often you don't need much more.
- Planning a book or game, writing dialogue and so on.
How to use
- Press Ctrl-Insert to add a note, Enter to save.
- Or just click in the edit line and start typing.
- Keep typing to add more notes in the same place.
- Use Ctrl-Escape to clear the selection first.
- Press Tab from the edit line to focus the tree.
- Ctrl-E starts editing the selected note.
- Escape on the edit line cancels editing the note.
- Insert adds a child note to the one selected.
- Delete removes the selected note and its children.
- Use Control with the arrow keys to move notes around.
- Right-click in the main view for a context menu.
(Many bindings have a Command- equivalent for Mac users.)
- Start new outline
- Open outline from disk
- Save current outline
- Find text from the beginning.
- Find again from the last result.
- Ctrl-1 / Ctrl-2 / Ctrl-3
- Toggle note status.
Other bindings are shown in the menu.
- OutNoted guesses formats based on file extensions to keep it simple.
- OutNoted is best used with mouse and keyboard together.
- If you add notes while a search is active, Find Again will skip them.
- When opening Org Mode files, only headlines are recognized!
- Seriously, OutNoted isn't a proper Org Mode editor, sorry.
- Insert / extract subtrees.
- Support more metadata / file properties.
- Change note color depending on link or status.
- Scrunch Edit: an offshoot project that complements OutNoted.
- Keep an EyeOut: a tool to eye the outline of various documents.
- hnb: the old text-based outliner for Linux and BSD that inspired OutNoted.
Last updated: . More small things